Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pie


Hi. Even though we don't have to write about westerns, and everyone is probably sick of them, I'm gonna write about one anyways, as I think it deserves special mention.

Shane is a "classic" western that won an academy award for best cinematography, and got placed in the National Film Registry as historically, culturally or aesthetically significant. Well, I don't think its deserving of such titles and recognition. It was bad. Really bad. Like, me and my friend wanted to turn it off and do something else halfway through bad. I think the worst part of it was where some little kid named Joey was running yelling "bang bang" repeatedly making his mom cry because it was an emotional and scary time for her. I think I cringed every time he yelled "bang bang."

The characters were also all very bland and you were not really "rooting" for any characters, they did not really make you care about them or what happens them. The plot was also very generic, definately a classic western formula plot. Good guy meets people in need of help. Bad guys come and good guy helps needy people. Story goes until there is a showdown between the good guy and the bad guys. The "showdown" wasn't even satisfying, for a western there was hardly any action, and what there was was pretty cheesy. The western we watched in class, Stagecoach was awesome in comparison. It was also pretty cheesy at points, but it's story was more enjoyable and I actually wanted to see the next part the next day, I would look forward to it. Shane...bleh. Don't watch it.

1 comment:

Andeh said...

Yeargh! I concur. The movie was very blah and waaaugh. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone; One could probably be more entertained by watching bread rise. Or maybe even just nuking the DVD. Pretty colors, mirite?
But anyway; I couldn't even find anything remotely entertaining about that film. Films usually have something to laugh at, at least... But Shane wasn't even good enough to laugh at. :(